Ice!

Here's all the news that's fit to print from a USAP computer. Life in Antarctica, with (some) pictures. And it was fun fun, fun until her Daddy took the T-bird away

Monday, February 05, 2007

RePack! For the end is near!

Well, I have been amazingly lax about posting anything at all to this poor, neglected blog this month. Partly, that's because nothing much has been happening. Sadly, much of what I wanted to post pictures of became un-noteworthy in the execution. Because the string was a week late in arriving on the Ice, the kite festival had a total of 3 kites in the air-one of them brought over from the NZ base. The other kite-makers have gone flying, but only one at a time. The shot of one lonely kite in the huge blue sky was just too depressing to post.
The weather is starting to get colder out-I'm back in Big Red the parka, instead of a fleece jacket. The Sound has lots of open water this year-a few years ago the huge ice chunk named B-15 parked itself at the opening of the sound and caused the annual ice to stay put a freeze up instead of flowing away North in pieces. It broke up late last season, and so far the ice-edge has been getting steadily closer. The first official sunset will take place on Feb 19th, and sunrise will appear about 36 minutes later.
And while there has been wildlife around- whales cavorting in the Sound, for example-I tend to see the spouts from so far away that a pic looks silly. The Coast Guard Icebreaker Polar Sea offered cruises to about half of the population-there was a lottery, and I was not chosen. I let Paul go off to Snow Survival School, also called Happy Campers-I was offered the chance of going on 2 hours of sleep, and Paul hadn't gotten to go on any fun trips at all-he had a blast, but I stayed home. (It was his night off anyway-so he had had plenty of rest)
And now the end of the season is looming. Some folks have already headed home. Most of the scientists are long gone, or are leaving today. (Leaving on a C-17, don't know if I'll be back again....)
The big arrival this week is SUPPLIES. The tanker that delivers our fuel was here for three days, and now our container ship is here. The next ten days are called "vessel offload" or vessel for short-and the next year's worth of food, toilet paper, beer, chips, welding stuff, paper, staples, lumber, paint, parts, and so on, is here, somewhere in a big orange metal box called a milvan. They get lifted off the ship with a crane, and driven around town on anything big enough to carry one-big forklifts, flatbeds, converted Deltas, etc. Any day now I expect to see gangs of folks hauling them along on rollers, like the Egyptians building the pyramids.
My flight out is now scheduled to be on the 20th of February. I will be hanging around in NZ for about 2 weeks, and hope to back in Illinois (home Sweet Chicago!) on the 6th of March. In early April I will be off to Barcelona for a week or so, with a detour to the Valhrona chocolate factory on the way.
After that, who knows? I'll probably apply to return, but can't say if I'll come back down. I may get a better offer in the meantime.
Boxes have been mailed home so I don't have to lug crap all over New Zealand that I just won't use-like my knife kit. The pool cue- thanks again Josh!-I am taking with. It just might help me chat up cute guys!

3 Comments:

At 4:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a YEAR's supply of beer? must be a Very Big Boat then!

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger BeckyH said...

It's bloody HUGE. The M/V American Tern, will take 5 days or so to offload all of the milvans. That's working 24 hours a day too. They fly in about 90 NAVCHAPS- that's Navy Cargo Handling and Port Security-just for the event.

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Becky, This will probably be your last post, so I guess I'll say so long. You have my "real" E-mail address (not the throw-away one that I have for the blog) so be sure to write when you get home. I haven't been going to the "CI" BB because the new software is just too broken. Hope to hear from you soon,

Kent

 

Post a Comment

<< Home