Ice!

Here's all the news that's fit to print from a USAP computer. Life in Antarctica, with (some) pictures. And it was fun fun, fun until her Daddy took the T-bird away

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Mail!

So the first flight of mainbody came in today. I had mail! SIX pacages! Yee Haa! Goody, goody, goody. I am chortling away here, it's so much fun. There are hundreds of new people around. Well, at least one hundred. And one of them is another baker. That makes us very happy. At family meal Nick was still quite discombobulated bythe trip down, so we'll be gebtle on him tomorrow-we only need to make 500 pita breads, as they couldn't find them in the freezer after all...at least Mark, the chef, had the sense to tell us a full day BEFORE he needed them. That's a rare event in big kitchens.
And the obverse of new folks comming to town is that the old folks are leaving. The last few of the people who wintered-over are leaving this week and several of them are galley crew. While I'll miss them all I have a special soft spot for Johnny Siegal, the (now ex)-PM Sous chef. A great cook and a real mensch- I'm glad I'll be here when he gets back in January to winter-over again. I'm hoping I can manage to winter-over myself, but it's all up in the air at the moment. Think cold dark thoughts for me, ok?
About Johhny-I told him I was writing a novel and he asked to be in it-with his own name and recognizably himself. I gave him the opening 8 pages but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. I do wonder if he'll still be as eager when he sees just what part I have planned for him.....he's always ready to talk about food, or pottery or books, or teach a pool guppy how to get better. He's already missed in the galley, and he's been gone for ONE meal. *sigh* Cute, too-been around enough to get some history, a nice solid bulk of a man, great smile-kind of crinkly. I think I have a picture with him in it somewhere.
And to those great people who have sent books-THANK YOU!! They got here and I had a blast ripping the packages open. I'll be sharing them around as some friends have asked to read them.
It starts getting busy around here now-bythe end of the week we'll have twice as many people here as we did yesterday. But the Season is gearing up and the science is going to be happening-and I love talking to the beakers.
Yet again, I promise pictures SOON.

3 Comments:

At 6:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aunt becky--just stopping by to say hello! i tried to send an e-mail the other day and it came back to me...but now that i can post comments it's all good. georgetown in the same as always...i wish i was in antarctica! i'm awaiting pictures...

 
At 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Becky -- from another family reader, aka Sarah's dad.

SOunds like things are going really well. Did all 3 of the books I sent get there? When's the next mail drop? We can always send more!

Love,

Steve

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger BeckyH said...

Hi folks. Steve, tell me what you sent and I'll tell you if I got it. How was whichever country you had gone off to?
B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home