Ice!

Here's all the news that's fit to print from a USAP computer. Life in Antarctica, with (some) pictures. And it was fun fun, fun until her Daddy took the T-bird away

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Happy Campers

One thing I've noticed here-I tend to smile at people. At home not only did I see relatively few people most days, but I had little to say to most of them.
Down here I at least recognize most of the people on station (at least until the 3rd, when the rest of the population arrives). And I seem to be ready to like them, which is definitley NOT the case at home. So I see a vaugely familiar face and I smile. It does make for a nicer day.
It helps that they smile back, and that they appreciate what I do for them. "That chocolate thing last night-it was awesome!" makes it easier to enjoy someones' company. Also, they seem to understand that we've got to get along here for the summer, so being friendly will only help.
And I have a social life! After 5 years of working nights with people I did not want to socialize with, and not many chances to meet folks I might find interesting, I can get off work, change and go OUT. There are 3 bars here, to meet every expectation. The Coffeehouse serves wine and coffee and cocoa, with some booze to go in the hot drinks. It has couches and low tables, a big room to show movies (excuse me, cinema). It's non-smoking and low key and seen as the intellectual hangout. Then there's Southern Exposure, whose logo is a Skulland corssbones, with red eyes and a cigarette hanging from the bony jaws. Southern has the best pool table, and a nice shuffleboard, and serves beer, liquor and sodas. You can also smoke there, Unfortunatley, most of the people I like talking to all end up at Southern, so I often end up there as well. I get the cough without benefit of the nicotine. The other bar is Gallagher's-the non-smoking bar. Not much is happening there these days, but I'm told it will be hopping after mainbody gets here. I'd like that- my friends can drink the cheap Canadian whiskey they prefer and I don't have to eat smoke. Last weekend they had a talent showcase there. The usual kind of line up-some good, some just willing. But a fine time was had by all. I may even try to be in the next open-mic kind of thing that happens, but no one is sure when that will be. More pics will post soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home