Ice!

Here's all the news that's fit to print from a USAP computer. Life in Antarctica, with (some) pictures. And it was fun fun, fun until her Daddy took the T-bird away

Monday, September 18, 2006

There are some new pictures up at the same old link.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/heydemann@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=371escd&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
The first set show what happens to the trash. It all gets sorted, bagged, collected and sorted again, before being shipped off for resale, reuse or recycling in California. Sewage we treat at our new wastwater treatment plant, just like at home.
Then there are some shots of the inside of the frozen food warehouse. You can see just how much food is piled up in there. I think there's some stuff I want in the middle of aisle 4, near the bottom. It will be a while till I can get it....
The next set of pics are the power and water plants. The generators run on disel fuel, and generate lots of electricity. Which is good, becaue we use it to cook with! We use about 24,000 galloons of fuel per week. That's Adam on the right by the control panel, and my pal Rick on the left. Rick is the guy I lift weights with. He runs the water plant and got me this tour.
The water we get from the ocean, and just like a plasma donation we pull the salts out and return the concentrate to the ocean. We get about 40% as through-flow, that is the amount of potable water from the volume we pump in. There are 4 of the big green tanks, each of which holds about 20,000 gallons. All of the reverse-osmosis process runs through the long tubes, pushed by the high-pressure pumps.
And the radio came on while we were looking at the new generators, which are almost twice as efficient as the old ones. Condition one weather was declared-and this is why you mostly stay indoors, where you are, when it hits. Condition 3 weather is a nice day, or maybe breezy. Condition 2 will be blustery, but you can still see to walk around.
A nice day off- laundry, plant tours, a stint in the gerbil gym (on the machines) and now a chance to go bowling! And I even had a brownie for dessert. Damn, we do good work in the bakery! If I do say so myself.

1 Comments:

At 5:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Becky -

clicking on the photo link took me to the old photos.

I'm off to Yemen today to be an election monitor. We will have days in the high 80s and nights in the high 50s. I'll think of you in the Penguin outfit!! One thing for sure, you'll get better brownies than I will!!

Steve

 

Post a Comment

<< Home